Podcast: Benefits Of Skin Exfoliation

It’s never too late. We have a choice and it is given to us by life itself and here is why.

According to research our biological age can appear different from the chronological age and that is because almost every cell in our body replaces itself over the course of 7-10 years. Dr. Northrup, women’s health advocate, talks about how our thoughts and beliefs affect our well-being. Thanks to the knowledge through epigenetics, scientists agree that heredity has a small impact on our life as it is only 20%-30% of who we are and who we’ll become. And that means we do have lots of control over the present and the future because the remaining balance 70%-80% is influenced by the lifestyle we lead. If your father frowns a lot, you are not destined to do the same only if you choose to do so. All we need to do is decide to be healthy, look younger while making small efforts each day towards those goals to succeed. Eckhart Tolle in his book The Power Of Now talks about it and says that our thoughts are more powerful that anything else out there. So think positive and strive to start your day with a powerful meditation or a gratitude session to set the tone for the day to come. Not only you’ll have a great day but everyone around you will be uplifted. Listen to this relaxing music below anytime to look and feel good.

Gift From Yolanda: Relax

The process of exfoliation helps to speed up cell rejuvenation by sloughing the old, dry and flaky skin cells to bring life to a healthy and more radiant cells. Let’s talk about the benefits of skin exfoliation, what to use, how often etc. Exfoliation speeds up the regeneration of the skin, making it look clear, younger and stronger. It is a first line of defense against wrinkles, dark spots, acne breakouts and acne scars.

Exfoliation helps the skin to breathe.

There are two kinds of exfoliants:

  • Gel exfoliants such as fruit acids that are mild irritants. AHA’s and other that can be used once a week or twice a week.
  • Sandy, gritty exfoliators and electric brushes which are more invasive and should be used less frequently.

When you read a spa menu, you notice facial peel and microdermabrasion under the exfoliating facial treatments. Both are perfect for any skin and are safe to use for anybody. Microdermabrasion should be avoided during the summer months as it exposes the skin to sun damage.

What can you do at home to exfoliate the skin? You’ve probably tried the gritty and harsh exfoliants in the past and know that the skin gets too irritated and red when you used them too often. As we get older we need to exfoliate the skin more often but only use gel exfoliants as the skin is thinning out already and can’t tolerate those strong scrubs. And that applies to the electric brushes too, they may look innocent but when used to often they remove more than just the dead skin from the surface. If you already have this brush, please use it no more than once a week or every two weeks.

You can easily whip out your own facial peel made of nothing else but a fruit acid from a fresh lemon. Squeeze the lemon into a glass container and use it on a freshly cleansed skin. Since this is a citric acid you don’t want any metal touching it. Remove it with cool water after 5 min and apply your serum and a moisturizer. Make sure to avoid the eye area. You can store the juice in the tightly closed container(glass or plastic) for 72 hours. Apply it every night for three days. Make sure to use a sunscreen every day to preserve your perfectly radiant looking skin.

How often do you do those peels? Every two weeks and try to schedule a facial at least once every three months if you are 30 something and once a month anytime after you turn 40 years old.

After two decades of working in the skin care industry, I can unequivocally say that skin aging can be reversed naturally. It doesn’t matter what age you are, if you follow the the well rounded plan given to you by your skin care professional and keep your mind free of clutter of the past, you’ll look and feel younger.

Home care is just as important as in-spa care. You need to have the right skin care products to support the skin, exfoliation is very important and a fruit acid based cleanser similar to BOC Triple Exfoliating Cleanser is best as it helps the skin to melt away the dead skin cells without irritating the skin. Vit C or retinol are other great product that support skin rejuvenation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.